Hi friends. I’ve had several random thoughts over the past few days.
1. It’s back to school time. I’ll be going into my third full academic year teaching at Chatham University. One of the many positives of my position there is that the personalities of groups of students as a whole completely differ from year to year. Its always fun to see what the new group has to offer.
2. Its unfortunate, but it sure seems like the media LOVES natural disasters. I mean, when else do you find yourself flipping to the Weather Channel on a Saturday night? On that note, I’m glad that it has not been as severe as anticipated. I’m especially glad it didn’t make its way here – an earthquake and a hurricane in Pittsburgh in like 10 days? Boy, that would blow the whole safe geographical region theory out of the water. BTW, did you see the FOX reporter covered in ‘sea foam’?! Gross.
3. I generally dislike most things Cleveland, with the exception of a few great friends that live there of course :). I did think it was very cool though that Jim Thome has returned to play for the Indians. If you don’t follow sports, you won’t get it. But I can appreciate how cool that must be for Indians fans, and I’m happy for them.
4. Every year at this time I wish I could have played in the Little League World Series. There were more people watching one game there than PNC Park can even hold!
5. I’m determined to get back in shape [or in for the first time? ] Nonetheless, here we go. Been at it for about 2 weeks now at the new gym, and it feels great. I look back at what I grew up eating and I feel so sick about it that it gives me motivation to gain back whatever health I lost from all of that junk. If you’ve never done one or never heard of one, a community supported agriculture [CSA] program is a great way to start eating healthier and supporting local farms. Highly recommend it.
6. Highmark and UPMC need to get their you know what together. There’s no denying that UPMC provides good health care, but their guise of operating under a non-profit status has allowed them to become a dangerous monopoly. Of course, though, the man at the top of the political food chain here won’t do anything about it. He’ll get swatted like a fly if he buzzes into that conversation. Good for Highmark to step up and try to compete.
7. What on earth did people do before cell phones in the business world? Specifically the iPhone? Did projects take like 6 times longer to produce? I can’t even imagine it.
8. In what setting do you find yourself running into the most ‘Yinzers’? Steeler games, Kenny Chesney concerts, 4th of July Fireworks, where? To be honest, they annoy me and do not reflect the modern day Pittsburgh. I always hear people making fun of Pittsburghese n’at, but I rarely hear it anymore. Count me as one person that is happy about that. I love what we are about here, but come on, we’re a bit more civilized and cultured as a region than some people you stumble across around here.
9. I’ve never let myself watch Jersey Shore because, well, talk about an embarrassment to the identity of a country. However, I’ve let myself get sucked in to this season in Florence. At least they haven’t destroyed anything there yet. Its pretty surreal seeing those fools running around in the same areas we were in back in the day.
10. I’ll be in Vegas with the wifey next weekend for our first anniversary trip. That went by fast! Was a fantastic first year though :). We even added to the family: Reindeer Herding. Cheers to great and long lasting marriages…see yinz in awhile.